Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Future. (Good-Bye London)

Tomorrow, I’m leaving Crawford Passage and headed to Dorset, the first stop of a very long, exciting two months that will undoubtedly change my life.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to sum up my experience in London in this blog.  I’ve written out a whole blog on what it meant, the people that were here, the moments that I will never forget.  I’ve re-written and re-written it a million times.  But I've decided instead just to settle with this short post.

I really came to terms with the ending the other day when I had a meeting with my advisor Jill.  She talked to me about moving on and how she had thought that this experience had changed me, including the people I’ve become friends with, the things I’ve done for myself and the chances I’ve taken.  She helped me realize the positive things I’ve done and how I have so much more to do beyond here, and so much more to offer to other people.  She helped me realize that the places my life will take me from here will be equally as amazing, because I can make it what I want it to be, as long as I continue to take chances, and continue to care about people the way I do. 

In the end, I realize that all I have to say is easily summed up into this one little paragraph.  The last four months have been some of the most amazing months of my life, for a couple, very important reasons: the places I’ve challenged myself to go, the fun I’ve had and the people I’ve let into my life.  I think that is all that really matters in the end.  Now, although this has all been great, and amazing, I realize that it has to end, so that I can go to the next thing. 

Tomorrow, my friends board a bus at 6 AM, and they will be on their way back to America. 

As for me, I’ll be there to say good -bye, put on my backpack, and head to Victoria Bus Station.  I'm sure memories of the last four months will be racing through my head.    

Reminiscing is great, but living in the past too long is never that good.  As for my future, thanks to this experience and the talk I had with Jill, I’ve learned that it doesn’t need to be so scary or terrifying…because I will make it whatever I want it to be. 


-SP

5 comments:

  1. Hi Stephen,
    Well said and lived! On to the next adventure, next step, next moment. Enjoy the experience and each and every opportunity to grow. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Stephen,
    As I sit in our Den on a quiet early morning at Pearl Lake reading your final Blog from London, I am appreciateing the fact that you have included us all on this first phase of your journey/adventure. I am thinking about how you must be feeling at this time and thinking back to moments in my own life that helps me relate to where you might be. With that, I thought I would pass along this poem by Robert Frost, former Franconia New Hampshire resident, which you may already have read, but struck home with me many years ago, and might with you as well.
    Now, sling that backpack over your shoulder and MOVE ON!! Love to all in Dorset, and lots of Love and GOOD LUCK to you!
    Rosalind, Tom and the Girlie Girls


    1. The Road Not Taken


    TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

    Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same, 10

    And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference. 20




    CONTENTS · BIBLIOGRAPHIC RECORD

    NEXT




    powered by
    Custom Search Control
    Web
    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen,
    My oh my! Dad, Tom and Robert Frost can say things so well!! I also want to add my thanks to you for letting us read about your thoughts and feelings along the way. Jill is so right about the fact that you will continue to have great experiences in your life because you will make a great life happen. Congratulations on completing a great semester.
    Now onto the next day. Give Garrett a hug from me and then all those in Dorset also get a big hug!
    One more thought...I am so proud of you!
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Stephen,

    long time no comment from my end of the computer, my apologies.. Life happens that way sometimes!
    I`ve now caught up with all your blogs, as has my Mum. She had lost the " bookmark" on her computer, so while visiting her in UK, I re set it for her, and we read all the blogs we`d missed!
    So, the Robert Frost poem is indeed very apropo, and one to always keep in mind, as Tom and I both do. Actually lots of Frost`s poems are very thoughtful and lovely to read. We have several of his poetry books here at PL, given to us by Mum, and by Brian also.
    He ( Frost) lived for a signicant amount of time in Franconia, and aso in London, both places were important to his writing. Check him out!
    So, we travel with you in spirit, keep a look out for us in the side pockets of your backpack!!

    We will not weigh you down, but will help you travel lightly and with the love of adventure!
    Thanks for sharing your trip thus far with all of us!

    love Rosalind

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Stephen, I'm Rosalind and Tom's niece and I know we have never met or spoken before but Tom passed on the link to your blog back in September, and I'd just like to quickly say that I've really enjoyed reading it.

    I've lived in London all my life with my parents but have just started my first year at university in Birmingham. It was so great to see photos of and read about your experiences in and around London, particularly if I was feeling home-sick!

    I hope you have further amazing adventures on your travels around the rest of Europe!

    All the very best luck,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete